Some of the few entertainment entities that remained open and fully functioning were shutting down like much of the rest of the world on Friday, a day after institutions from Broadway to Disneyland closed their doors, TV shows including "The Price Is Right" halted production, and movie release dates strategically scheduled years in advance were pushed back indefinitely.
Here's a look at the latest closings, cancellations and postponements related to the new coronavirus, which most people recover from but can cause severe illness in the elderly and those with pre-existing medical conditions.
THE VIEW FROM HOME
Joy Behar says she's going to skip her co-hosting duties on "The View" next week and stay home amid growing concerns over the coronavirus.
"I'm in a higher risk group because of my age, but I'm perfectly healthy," the 77-year-old comedian and performer said on the show Friday. "I'm going to socially distance myself."
Behar said she doesn't trust the government and made the decision to self-quarantine herself. She added she is lucky that she doesn't have child care needs and has enough money to tide her over.
"Are you going to miss me?" she asked her co-hosts. "Probably," joked Whoopi Goldberg.
"I think it's always better to be cautious than to be sorry," Meghan McCain said.
Other talk shows that are shot in front of live audiences will stop production altogether.
HBO announced Friday that "Real Time with Bill Maher" and "Last Week Tonight with Trevor Noah" will go on hiatus after their weekend airings, and Comedy Central says "The Daily Show with Trevor Noah: and "Lights Out with David Spade" will also temporarily halt production.
Late in the day, Ellen DeGeneres announced that her daytime talk show would go off the air until March 30.
LITTLE MERMAID WON'T BE PART OF YOUR WORLD FOR A WHILE
The Walt Disney Co. says its shutting down many of its live-action productions, including "The Little Mermaid" and Ridley Scott's "The Last Duel," due to the coronavirus.
Hollywood on Friday continued to halt shoots of most films and television series to help control the spread of the virus. For Disney, that includes the live-action remake of "The Little Mermaid"; "The Last Duel," with Matt Damon, Adam Driver and Ben Affleck; Marvel's "Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings"; a "Home Alone" remake; and Guillermo Del Toro's "Nightmare Alley." It's also putting on hold a pair of films in pre-production: "Peter Pan and Wendy" and a "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" reboot.
"While there have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 on our productions, after considering the current environment and the best interests of our cast and crew, we have made the decision to pause production on some of our live-action films for a short time," said a spokesman for Disney. "We will continue to assess the situation and restart as soon as feasible."
The Walt Disney Co. on Thursday delayed the releases of several upcoming films, including "Mulan."
Disney is also slowing things on its television side, shutting down the productions of "Grey's Anatomy" and "Genius: Aretha" for at least three weeks. And the crisis is hampering production of potential new shows, with work on more than a dozen pilots halted.
HALLOWED HALLS COME TO HALT
Rock and country music have both closed their halls of fame.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum in Cleveland announced Friday that the facility is shutting down for two weeks. The hall had already postponed its annual induction ceremony and surrounding festivities until later in the year.
In Nashville, the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum will close to the public on Friday and will remain that way through March 31. The museum, which calls itself "the Smithsonian of country music," is one of the Nashville's biggest tourist draws, bringing in a record 1.3 million visitors last year.
THEME PARKS GO DARK
No rolling or coasting will be happening at Six Flags theme parks.
The amusement park giant announced Friday that all of its U.S. parks will go dark over coronavirus concerns starting Saturday through the end of March, including Six Flags Magic Mountain near Los Angeles, Six Flags over Texas near Dallas and Six Flags over Georgia in Atlanta.
Hundred-year-old Southern California institution Knott's Berry Farm is shutting down for the same time frame.
"While there have been no confirmed cases of COVID-19 at our properties, we believe it is the right decision for our guests, associates and community," Knott's said in a statement Friday.
The decision comes a day after Disney announced the planned shutdown of its parks.
MOVIE THEATERS STILL MOVING ALONG
U.S. movie theaters have resisted the movement to close for the most part, but some are instituting limits for their audiences.
AMC, the country's largest chain, on Friday said it would sell no more than half its seats in each theater beginning Saturday and until the end of April to help facilitate social distancing. AMC said it will sell no more than 250 tickets for a showing.
The Alamo Drafthouse chain is instituting "seat separation" policies, along with extra cleaning of theaters in between showings.
Tom Hanks and his actress-singer wife Rita Wilson have tested positive for the coronavirus, the actor said in a statement Wednesday.
Hanks said the couple were in Australia and felt tired, with colds, body aches and slight fevers. "To play things right, as is needed in the world right now, we were tested for the coronavirus and were found to be positive," Hanks said.
The 63-year-old Oscar-winner said they will be "tested, observed and isolated for as long as public health and safety requires."
"Not much more to it than a one-day-a-time approach, no?" added Hanks.
Hanks had been in Australia shooting an untitled Elvis Presley biopic directed by Baz Luhrmann. Hanks plays Presley's manager, Colonel Tom Parker. The film, currently slated for release in October 2021, has suspended production, Warner Bros. said.
Australia has confirmed more than 120 cases of infection, with three deaths from COVID-19.
Hanks and Wilson, 63, were married in 1988. In 2013, Hanks disclosed that he has type 2 diabetes. He is easily the most famous person yet to publicly announce a positive test for the virus, which the World Health Organization on Wednesday declared a pandemic.
Hanks also posted his message on social media with an image of a surgical glove in a garbage can. He signed off saying that he would "keep the world posted and updated." Said Hanks: "Take care of yourselves!"
For most people, the new coronavirus causes only mild or moderate symptoms, such as fever and cough. For some, especially older adults and people with existing health problems, it can cause more severe illness, including pneumonia.
The vast majority of people recover from the new virus. According to the World Health Organization, people with mild illness recover in about two weeks, while those with more severe illness may take three to six weeks to recover.
The final act of Harvey Weinstein's rape trial in New York begins Wednesday, when the once-powerful film producer will be sentenced following his landmark #MeToo conviction.
Weinstein is scheduled to be sentenced Wednesday in New York City. He faces up to 29 years behind bars for raping an aspiring actress in 2013 and forcibly performing oral sex on a TV and film production assistant in 2006. A second criminal case is pending in California.
Both women that Weinstein was convicted of assaulting are expected to be in court to give victim impact statements before he is sentenced. Weinstein will also have a chance to speak. He opted not to testify at his trial, but at sentencing he won't have to worry about getting grilled by prosecutors.
Other women who've accused Weinstein — including some who testified at his trial — are not permitted to speak at his sentencing under state law. One of those witnesses, Tarale Wulff, who accused Weinstein of raping her in 2005, said in a statement Tuesday that she will still attend and hopes that the sentence "sends a clear message that times have changed."
Weinstein was convicted on two counts: criminal sex act for the 2006 assault on the production assistant and rape in the third degree for a 2013 attack on another woman. On the criminal sex act count, he faced a minimum of five years in prison and a maximum of 25 years in prison, while the third-degree rape count carries a maximum penalty of four years in prison.
Weinstein was acquitted of first-degree rape and two counts of predatory sexual assault stemming from actress Annabella Sciorra's allegations of a mid-1990s rape. Weinstein maintains his innocence and contends that any sexual activity was consensual.
Newly unsealed documents show the 67-year-old former film producer sought help from billionaires Jeff Bezos and Michael Bloomberg as sexual misconduct allegations against him piled up in October 2017, and that he considered issuing a statement at the time claiming that he was suicidal. There is no evidence to suggest either man responded.
The New York case was the first criminal matter against Weinstein to arise from accusations of more than 90 women, including actresses Gwyneth Paltrow, Salma Hayek and Uma Thurman. Many of Weinstein's accusers say he used his Hollywood prestige to befriend them, dangling movie roles to gain their trust.
Weinstein's lawyers are seeking the minimum sentence of five years in prison because of his age and frail health.
Weinstein, who turns 68 next week, used a walker throughout the trial following recent back surgeries. After his Feb. 24 conviction, he split time between a hospital and a jail infirmary unit, and had a stent inserted last week to unblock an artery.
"Given his age and specific medical risk factors, any additional term of imprisonment above the mandatory minimum — although the grave reality is that Mr. Weinstein may not even outlive that term — is likely to constitute a de facto life sentence," Weinstein's lawyers wrote in a sentencing memorandum filed Monday.
Once Weinstein is sentenced, he'll be transferred from the city's jail system to the state prison system. The agency that runs New York's state prisons said every inmate is evaluated to determine which facility meets his or her security, medical, mental health and other needs.
Martin Horn, the city's former corrections commissioner, said Weinstein's celebrity status could make him a target for another inmate looking to make a name for himself, while the gravity of his convictions and sentence could raise suicide concerns.
"No jail wants to have the next Jeffrey Epstein," said Horn, who now teaches at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. "They're going to make sure that nothing happens to him while he's in their custody. Not because he's important, but just from a public relations point of view, it would be awfully embarrassing."
Prosecutors did not ask for a specific number of years in prison in their sentencing memorandum, but said that Weinstein deserves severe punishment to account for allegations dating to the 1970s that didn't lead to criminal charges.
In their letter, prosecutors outlined 16 examples they said showed Weinstein "trapped women into his exclusive control" so he could sexually assault them, starting when he was working as a music producer in Buffalo in 1978.
Fordham University law professor Cheryl Bader said she expects Judge James Burke to impose a harsh sentence.
"One of the underlying principles of the law of punishment is promoting general deterrence," Bader said. "I think Judge Burke will want to send a message to 'would be' sexual predators that the hammer of the law will come down hard on you if you use your power — physical and otherwise — to manipulate and sexual abuse victims."
Just as jury selection was about to get under way in the New York case in January, authorities in California announced they were also bringing criminal charges against Weinstein.
Weinstein was charged in California with raping a woman at a Los Angeles hotel on Feb. 18, 2013, after pushing his way inside her room, then sexually assaulting a woman in a Beverly Hills hotel suite the next night.
Robbers have looted valuables, including 60 tolas of gold ornaments and Tk 2 lakh in cash, from the house of actor Litu Anam at Asrampara in the district town.
Parvez Anam, former councillor of Thakurgaon municipality and elder brother of Litu Anam, said bandits looted the house after making its inmates unconscious.
Family members started feeling drowsy after having breakfast on Monday morning and everyone fell asleep one after another, he said.
When they woke up on Tuesday, they found the doors of the house wide open and the almirah broken, Parvez said.
On information, police visited the spot and collected evidence.
Max von Sydow, the self-described "shy boy"-turned-actor known to art house audiences through his work with Swedish director Ingmar Bergman and later to moviegoers everywhere when he played the priest in the horror classic "The Exorcist," has died. He was 90.
His agent Jean Diamond said Monday the actor, who was born in Sweden but became a French citizen in 2002, died Sunday
From his 1949 screen debut in the Swedish film "Only a Mother," von Sydow starred in close to 200 film and TV productions, remaining active well into his 80s. But it was his role as the devil-evicting priest in William Friedkin's controversial 1973 film "The Exorcist" that brought him to international attention.