Dhaka, Sept 1 (UNB)- Xiaomi, global technology leader, announced Mi A3, the latest smartphone in their lineup of Android One-powered phones with the world’s highest resolution camera setup.
It succeeds Mi A2, world’s number one Android One smartphone previously. Mi A3 marks a shift in the design of the Mi A series.
It brings a new design while retaining the functional aspects which made Mi A2 one of the best phones in the segment.
It features the Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 665 chipset, a Super AMOLED display, a massive 4030mAh battery, 48MP triple camera setup and an in-screen fingerprint scanner.
Like every Mi A series smartphone, Mi A3 is also powered by Google’s Android One project and runs Android™ 9 Pie out of the box.
Ziauddin Chowdhury, Country General Manager, Xiaomi Bangladesh said, "With the launch of Mi A3, we are excited to offer our Mi Fans yet another Android One phone with a number of incredible features.”
“Among its several innovative offers, Mi A3 has triple cameras on the rear featuring a 48MP IMX586 sensor, and also offers a beautiful design that facilitates one-handed usage. We are positive that our Mi Fans and users in Bangladesh will make the most of the new Mi A3 with a wonderful experience in store for them," Ziauddin added.
“We are thrilled to strengthen our partnership with Xiaomi to add another great device to the Android One portfolio this year,” said Jon Gold, Director of Partner Programs, Google.
“The all-new Mi A3 will deliver a software experience that is up-to-date and easy to use, with built-in malware protection and regular security updates that keep users safe,” he added.
Mi A3 will be available in three color variants - Kind of Grey, Not just Blue and More than White. The 4GB+64GB variant will be available for BDT 22,999 and the 4GB+128GB variant will be available for BDT 24,999.
Mi A3 will be available starting 5th September via all Authorized Mi Stores, Partner channels and Retail outlets. All units will come with a free case in the box.
Dhaka, Aug 31 (AP/UNB) - Researchers say suspected nation-state hackers infected Apple iPhones with spyware over two years in what security experts on Friday called an alarming security failure for a company whose calling card is privacy.
A mere visit to one of a small number of tainted websites could infect an iPhone with an implant capable of sending the smartphone owner's text messages, email, photos and real-time location data to the cyberspies behind the operation.
"This is definitely the most serious iPhone hacking incident that's ever been brought to public attention, both because of the indiscriminate targeting and the amount of data compromised by the implant," said former U.S. government hacker Jake Williams, the president of Rendition Security.
Announced late Thursday by Google researchers, the last of the vulnerabilities were quietly fixed by Apple by February but only after thousands of iPhone users were believed exposed over more than two years.
The researchers did not identify the websites used to seed the spyware or their location. They also did not say who was behind the cyberespionage or what population was targeted, but experts said the operation had the hallmarks of a nation-state effort.
Williams said the spyware implant wasn't written to transmit stolen data securely, indicating the hackers were not concerned about getting caught. That suggests an authoritarian state was behind it. He speculated that it was likely used to target political dissidents.
Sensitive data accessed by the spyware included WhatsApp, iMessage and Telegram text messages, Gmail, photos, contacts and real-time location — essentially all the databases on the victim's phone. While the messaging applications may encrypt data in transit, it is readable at rest on iPhones.
Google researcher Ian Beer said in a blog posted late Thursday that the discovery should dispel any notion that it costs a million dollars to successfully hack an iPhone. That's a reference to the case of a United Arab Emirates dissident whose iPhone was infected in 2016 with so-called zero-day exploits, which have been known to fetch such high prices.
"Zero day" refers to the fact that such exploits are unknown to the developers of the affected software, and thus they have had no time to develop patches to fix it.
The discovery, involving 14 such vulnerabilities, was made by Google researchers at Project Zero, which hunts the security flaws in software and microprocessor firmware, independent of their manufacturer, that criminals, state-sponsored hackers and intelligence agencies use.
"This should serve as a wake-up call to folks," said Will Strafach, a mobile security expert with Sudo Security. "Anyone on any platform could potentially get infected with malware."
Beer said his team estimated that the infected websites used in the "indiscriminate watering hole attacks" receive thousands of visitors per week. He said the team collected five separate chains of exploits covering Apple's iOS system as far back as version 10, released in 2016.
Apple did not respond to requests for comment on why it did not detect the vulnerabilities on its own and if it can assure users that such a general attack could not happen again. Privacy assurance is central to the Apple brand.
Neither Google nor Beer responded to questions about the attackers or the targets, though Beer provided a hint in his blog post: "To be targeted might mean simply being born in a certain geographic region or being part of a certain ethnic group."
Security manager Matt Lourens at Check Point Software Technologies called the development an alarming game-changer. He said that while iPhone owners previously compromised by zero days were high-value targets, a more widespread seeding of spyware at a lower cost per infection has now been shown possible.
"This should absolutely reshape the way corporations view the use of mobile devices for corporate applications, and the security risk it introduces to the individual and/or organization," Lourens said in an email.
In his blog post, the Google researcher Beer warned that absolute digital security can't be guaranteed.
Smartphone users must ultimately "be conscious of the fact that mass exploitation still exists and behave accordingly;" he wrote, "treating their mobile devices as both integral to their modern lives, yet also as devices which when compromised, can upload their every action into a database to potentially be used against them."
Dhaka, Aug 30 (UNB) - Pluto was officially downgraded from planetary status more than a decade ago by the International Astronomical Union (IAU) when it established three main categories of objects in the solar system — planets, dwarf planets, and small solar system bodies. However, the decision has not been taken well by many and that certainly includes the newly appointed NASA administrator Jim Bridenstine.
He declared Pluto a planet again and while you must be thinking that he must have presented a convincing point to bring the dwarf planet on the table with other planets of the solar system with equal status, it’s nothing like that. Bridenstine, a politician, I repeat– a politician, not a scientist, says that Pluto is a planet because that’s the way he learned it.
“Just so you know, in my view, Pluto is a planet, and you can write that the NASA administrator declared Pluto a planet once again, Bridenstine said during a FIRST robotics event in Colorado this week.
A 15-second video clip of the interaction was shared on Twitter by Cory Reppenhagen, a journalist at 9NEWS. In the video, the new NASA chief reiterated his comment, “I’m sticking by that. It’s the way I learned it, and I’m committed to it.”
Just to clear the air, the Pluto is not officially a planet again, just because the NASA administrator said that.
Dhaka, Aug 30 (UNB) - Large asteroids are considered to be a concern when they come near our planet. These celestial objects orbit the Sun and at times they tend to come too close to the Earth. Now, two giant asteroids are set to fly close to the Earth on September 14. Earlier this month, NASA warned about asteroid 2000 QW7, which is the size of the Burj Khalifa, that is set to whiz past our planet at a speed of 23,100 km per hours on September 14. It seems that this asteroid won’t be the lone one we have to deal with on that day, reports The Indian Express.
According to a report by Mashable, another asteroid named 2010 CO1 will also be passing by the Earth within a 24-hour period. Both the asteroids are classified as Near-Earth Objects by NASA’s Centre for Near-Earth Object Studies (CNEOS).
As per the report, 2000 QW7 asteroid will be the first of the two which will go past the Earth. The asteroid measures between 290 metres and 650 metres in width and it is almost 828 metres in height. The asteroid will be 0.035428 astronomical units (AU), which is approximately 5.3 million kilometers from the Earth. An AU can be defined as the distance between the Sun and the Earth.
On the other hand, asteroid 2010 CO1 will be the second celestial body taht will fly past the Earth on September 14. This asteroid was discovered on January 2010. According to the report, it is 260 meters wide and 120 meters long and is trevelling with a speed of 51,696 kilometres per hour. This asteroid has been classified as an Apollo Asteroid by NASA, as this is a Near-Earth asteroid and has a wide orbit with a perihelion distance less than 1.017 AU, and semi-major axis greater than 1 AU.
While there are many asteroids and meteors of different shapes and sizes that go past the Earth almost every day, not all these celestial bodies pose a threat to our planet. However, there are a handful of near-Earth objects in the space which can be potentially dangerous for our planet. One such celestial object happens to be Apophis 99942 asteroid. Scientists have predicted the impact date of the Apophis 99942 a number of times in the past.
Recently a well-known astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, in an episode of his podcast ‘Cosmic Queries’ had discussed about the threat that is posed by giant asteroids heading towards the Earth. He had warned that the 370-meter wide Near-Earth asteroid Apophis 99942 might spark a major tsunami that can potentially wipe out the entire west coast of North America if it manages to hit the Earth.
Apart from Tyson, SpaceX founder and CEO Elon Musk recently predicted that a huge asteroid will eventually hit the Earth and there may not be any way to defend it.
Dhaka, Aug 30 (UNB) - Security researchers at Google have found evidence of a “sustained effort” to hack iPhones over a period of at least two years.
The attack was said to be carried out using websites which would discreetly implant malicious software to gather contacts, images and other data, reports BBC.
Google’s analysis suggested the booby-trapped websites were said to have been visited thousands of times per week.
Apple did not respond to the BBC’s request for comment.
The attack was shared in great detail in a series of technical posts written by British cybersecurity expert Ian Beer, a member of Project Zero, Google’s taskforce for finding new security vulnerabilities, known as zero days.
"There was no target discrimination,” Mr Beer wrote.
“Simply visiting the hacked site was enough for the exploit server to attack your device, and if it was successful, install a monitoring implant."
Mr Beer and his team said they discovered attackers were using 12 separate security flaws in order to compromise devices. Most were bugs within Safari, the default web browser on Apple products.
Once on a person’s iPhone, the implant could access an enormous amount of data, including (though not limited to) contacts, images and GPS location data. It would relay this information back to an external server every 60 seconds, Mr Beer noted.
The implant also was able to scoop up data from apps a person was using, such as Instagram, WhatsApp and Telegram. Mr Beer’s list of examples also included Google products such as Gmail and Hangouts, the firm's group video chat app.
The attackers were able to exploit "almost every version from iOS 10 through to the latest version of iOS 12”, Mr Beer added.
"This indicated a group making a sustained effort to hack the users of iPhones in certain communities over a period of at least two years.”
Google’s team notified Apple of the vulnerabilities on 1 February this year. A patch was subssequently released six days later to close the vulnerability. Apple’s patch notes refer to fixing an issue whereby “an application may be able to gain elevated privileges” and “an application may be able to execute arbitrary code with kernel privileges”.
iPhone users should update their device to the latest software to make sure they are adequately protected.
Unlike some security disclosures, which offer merely theoretical uses of vulnerabilities, Google discovered this attack “in the wild" - in other words, it was in use by cybercriminals.
Mr Beer’s analysis did not speculate on who may be behind the attack, nor how lucrative the tool may have been on the black market. Some “zero day” attacks can be sold for several millions dollars - until they’re discovered and fixed.